Saturday 25 August 2012

Children using cameras

Children in my centre using a camera (parent permission given)



For the past four years I have been fortunate enough to be in a centre where educators allow children to take photos with a camera.  As this has been modeled to me, I have embraced the idea and have also done likewise.  Cameras are a useful tool in capturing snapshots of the world around us.  With the daily use of cameras in the centre, allowing the children to also capture what is important to them, and use this piece of technology is part of exploring the world in which they live (Hertzog and Klein, 2005; Ministry of Education, 1996).  

Unfortunately lately my confidence in allowing children to use cameras has been somewhat shattered. In the past couple of months, I have had the misfortune of ending up with two broken cameras, and several others in the centre have also been broken.  This obviously leads to the expense of having to buy more cameras.  This has led to a dilemma for me, as well as others in my centre.  I believe that children are competent and capable (Ministry of Education, 1996). If I truly believe this, I should have high expectations about what the children can do, and this includes being capable to use a camera.  I want to give children the opportunity to use the camera but I am also hesitant… is this really an age appropriate technological device?  Or is there a way that I can more effectively empower children to competently and respectfully use cameras? 

In talking to my manager about this, she said that she would like the staff to take more of an active role in equipping the children with the skills in order to confidently and respectfully use the cameras.  She believes that we need to have high expectations of the children.  I can see that there is a need to educate and remind the children about the behavior expected when using the camera.  When handing a camera to a child in the future I will remind them to be respectful of the camera and to handle it carefully.  This includes reminding them to put their hand in the wrist band before proceeding to take the photo.  I need to be careful to also model this when I am taking photos (Mac Naughton and Williams, 2009).  

Another strategy that Carmellia suggested to me was to buy a more durable camera.  I think that this is a great idea as it may mean that the camera will be less susceptible to breakage.  I have suggested this idea to my manager as a possibility.  This however does come at a cost as they are more expensive and may not always be affordable for a centre to buy.  

A photo taken by a child
Watching the DVD in class, “Visual arts inspirations: people places, things” (University of Auckland, 2011), has helped to rekindled my excitement and confidence in letting children use cameras.  Many of these things I previously knew, but was encouraging to see children using the cameras so artistically and confidently. Other benefits were also highlighted; such as the artistic images that are captured, techniques learnt (such as zooming and focusing), and using the photos for decoration, recall, documentation and sharing experiences with others (The University of Auckland, 2011).  One particular section that stood out for me is that there are five cameras in the centre that the children can use.  The teachers take the children in small groups on outings so that they can have optimum time with the cameras, taking photos when they want to, as opposed to when it is their turn.  Perhaps we could likewise have more cameras accessible to the children and use them only in small groups.  

By resuscitating my desire for children to use cameras in the centre, I have become more aware of the benefits of this piece of technology to enhance children’s learning.  By reflecting on this I feel I am also more equipped to inform children on how to use cameras respectfully, and marvel at the privilege it is to have such a brilliant device in the centre.

References

Google images (n.d.). Retrieved from http://pgfma.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/kid-with-camera.jpg 
 
Hertzog, N., & Klein, M. (2005). Beyond gaming: A technology explosion in early childhood classrooms. Gifted child today 28(3), 24-30.

McNaughton, G., & Williams, G.  (2009). Techniques for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Melbourne, Australia: Addison Wesley Longman.

Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki, he whārriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

University of Auckland (2011). Visual arts inspirations: people, places, things [DVD]. Auckland. New Zealand. The University of Auckland.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,

    Thank you for sharing such an enlightening reflection. I enjoyed reading it : ))

    In the post, apart from explaining the advantages of cameras for children’s development, you also brought up some dilemmas or barriers every teacher or center would encounter when implementing Cameras into curriculum. I see your point. Cameras are easy to be damaged and they are expensive to get replaced or repaired. Especially considering children’s body size, cameras may be a bit heavy for some children, and they may drop and break cameras.

    However, I agree with you that we still need to see children as competent learners. That doesn’t mean we don’t’ need to supervise, support or guide children. Like what you said, we need to teach children to respect and take care of cameras. We should watch children more closely just like what we do when children play baseball. I know it is impossible to ensure no damage, and accidents happen. I recommend that you may give children old Nokia mobile phones to use as they are a lot stronger. It is also a good chance for children to explore different functions of mobile phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bula Beth
    For sure cameras are a great tool- it captures the world around us and also gives us an opportunity to revisit our experiences.

    Sorry to hear about the mishaps that your centre has had with cameras but, hey, when children (even adults) are around, things do break.But that's the learning moment- we need to be more careful with our cameras.

    I am happy that this incident did not damp your spirit in allowing the children to use cameras at the centre. I also admire that you did acknowledge that you or for that matter any of us , need to teach our children to respect and take care of our resources.
    Thanks for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I enjoyed reading this post. I am glad that you are thinking about ways you can help children learn to use a camera respectfully and carefully to avoid them being broken. Although I have personally never had an experience where children have broken a camera I can understand how having two broken cameras can have an impact on you giving cameras to the children. I am glad that even though you have had a negative experience you are thinking of ways for children to still have the opportunity to use cameras, well done.

    It seems to me like you have been thinking about ways to help children learn to use cameras a lot. Perhaps you could consider having a mat time and talking about how to use a camera respectfully. Maybe talking about why you have the rules will help the children understand. if you don't want to have a mat time with all the children you could also consider talking to a small group, as some children learn best in smaller groups. I hope you continue to think about this and you can find a way for children to have the opportunity use cameras respectfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi beth, I really enjoyed reading this inspiring reflection. I truly understand your hesitation of letting children use cameras after several cameras were broken even though I didn’t really come across the same situation. It is great that you didn’t let it stop you from nurturing children’s skills of using ICT. I agree with you that we should teach children how to use camera respectfully and carefully, but even as a adult I had broke a couple of plates or even phones, how perfect can we expect a four-year-old to be? Thus, I believe at one hand we need to teach children how to properly use cameras and protect cameras, at the other hand we also need to be open-minded about the accidents. Intentionally damages are not expected, however accidents should be acceptable.

    By the way, if getting a more durable camera isn’t that practicable in terms of the price, I suggest we may try the other way around which is to get less durable cameras with low pixel, I really think camera companies should make some of those cheap but yet solid cameras for children who are keen to learn new technology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts Camellia,
      Yes you are quite right about adults breaking objects too. I eglected to write about that, but that has been my thoughts- it easily could have been me that did it, mistakes happen. However learning to be respectful of objects is also very important. I agree about companies should make solid and cheap technology for children! I think you are right about having having less durable and low pixel, although it would be nice to have a high pixel too. I also want to give children quality experiences. All about balance!! Thanks for your thoughts

      Delete
    2. *neglected not eglected!

      Delete